Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Power of Positive Thinking…
It’s been a great week and maybe today (Sunday) is the time for Susan’s (fabulous as it may be) Sermon.
I woke up this morning and looked at my nightstand.  And there, I saw an old friend.  It has been with me through ups and downs and has been moved too many times to recall.  It has lived with me at home and has lain on my desk in my office.  And in really highly productive and calm times in my life, I have had to actually go look for it, as it would somehow slip away from me and be put into a bookcase or box.    All through the years, though, I always dig it out and try to keep it close to me, because it is inspiration as its best. Discovered by me in the 80’s my copy is tattered and yellowed, but the message and its impact remains the same.  It is Dr. Norman Vincent Peale’s “The Power of Positive Thinking.”  This is my go to book on pretty much everything pertaining to what do I do next?  It’s a roadmap, advice, inspiring stories, all in a neat little bundle.     
Do you remember being a child and your parents or teachers said “You can do whatever you put your mind to”?  Or you went to Sunday School and your teacher said    And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.” (Matthew 21:12) And if you were like me, you looked at her quizzically with a "huh"?  Dr. Peale explains it all.

Chapter 1 – Dr. Peale says merely, “Believe in Yourself”.  That is his first lesson…yes believe in you!  But it doesn’t stop there.   He goes on in the first chapter to give us an action plan, which is required with any idea, which includes faith not only in you, but God.  He tells us to “stamp indelibly on our mind a picture of us succeeding.”  Your mind, Dr. Peale continues will “develop the picture.”  So thinking positively about whatever you want to happen in your life is a necessity.  I firmly believe that if you think positive things will happen, they will.  If you think negative things will happen, they will. 
If you are like most of us it’s likely that negativity will creep in there . . .into that deep, nearly unexplored place called our brain.  The most important thing and the common thread among people like Dr. Peale and others writing about success, is to stay positive and believe you can do it…whatever it is.  Maybe it’s a life’s desire of starting your own business or creating the perfect pan of   lasagna for your family.  Whatever it is, it starts with the belief that you can do it and filtering out the people and thoughts that say you can’t.  If you think you can and truly believe in you, you can do it.

I am the mom of overachievers.  (They come by it naturally as their parents also have that tendency).  They would become so frustrated sometimes, with their progress in certain areas, whether it be school, sports or girls, and I would always tell them. “ When you go to bed tonight, first say your prayers and then close your eyes and visualize yourself with the golf swing you’ve always wanted or visualize yourself playing your music to a coffee shop or arena.  It’s your visualization, so whatever you choose is great.  Just remember, though, your mind will make it happen for you, so visualize carefully!”

Of course you have to have skill.  If you’ve never held a golf club before you probably won’t hit a hole in one the first time out…you may be lucky to hit it off the tee.  But visualizing the hole in one every night before you hold a golf club and as you progress your skill, is okay, because it will program your mind and chances are you will be able to accomplish that goal.  Believing you can and visualization will give you whatever your heart desires.  

Why am I expounding on this today? First you teach your children and then they teach you.   I was given some incredible teachings (by my 25 year old this week) and he doesn’t even know how he has impacted me.  I was thinking about his accomplishments and the payoff that is here for him after years of training in his art and glanced over and saw my very worn book by Dr. Peale, which reminded me of life’s lessons. When those around my baby boy encouraged easier paths, he didn’t deviate from him path ever, because this was his dream.  What I re-discovered from him this week, is to never stop believing in yourself, because that big success you’ve been waiting for may be waiting for you tomorrow.   It was waiting for him on Friday and it happened almost exactly as he had visualized it.   

My kids were raised with the teaching of Dr. Peale…although, not being readers, I don’t think they ever read his book.  They have lived by his principles and guidance, unknowingly, and I think that’s fabulous. 

2 comments:

  1. You have been that way since high school. Dr. Peale only gave you the means to focus it. Knowing you has been one of my life's high points

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Dr. Norm. It's so interesting that he actually had lots of self-doubt. And, it was his wife who helped him along. It's always the woman, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete