Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Price of Beauty
Last night was a night of pure luxury.  Why?  I had my hair highlighted at “my house” by an amazing stylist, Casey Schlachta.  We talked, laughed and had a blast and the whole time I’m getting foils put in my hair to give me that perfect blond to carry me through one more month.  What? You thought those blonde strands came naturally.  Oh yes, you’re right.  They do…really.   I felt very diva like and fabulous as dear, sweet Casey did Madeline’s (my son’s girlfriend) and my hair.  This was totally decadent and ultimate fabulousness.  Casey is the stylist for my son’s group, Cinema Sleep and she wanted to put a little champage pink (oddly enough there is no pink involved L) in Madeline’s hair for a photo shoot and stopped by to do so.  My house was the rendezvous point.  I was the lucky recipient of a spontaneous highlight( which is definitely better than spontaneous combustion).  It was so incredible!!   All I can say is thank you Casey.  My blond is completely fabulous thanks to you and I am all good for one more month.
I am a girl.   Maybe I should say that a little louder. I am a girl!! And with me come just a few maintenance items.  Do guys really think girls just naturally fall out of bed gorgeous.  Well most girls don’t.  Yes some do, but I have yet to see the most natural beauty who couldn’t be helped with a little “something”  When I look in the mirror I see this person staring back with things that needs….. well help…a lot of help.  The good news is I am armed and dangerous!  I have an arsenal…not even a small arsenal of beauty items.  If my beauty products were guns I would have enough arms to decimate a small country.
Speaking of hair, let’s start there…got to have the color.  That is my number 1 necessity.  When I was younger I had to color because my hair got a little too dark and well now, it’s a little too light, if you know what I mean.  So color once a month (for me; a lot of gals can go much longer).  Just for hair alone, not counting any other product to keep us fabulous,  every girl needs  product… shampoo,  conditioner,  gel, root lifter, and what I call hair glue.   You need a round brush (2 sizes), a flat brush, a regular comb, a rattail comb…Nice and Easy root touch up for that in between time when your stylist can’t just stop by.  J You need a hair dryer, a flatiron, a curling iron, hair rollers (Velcro and hot).  Oh and hairspray….I used to spend a ton of money here and found out that Auqua Net for $1.99 on sale is just as good as Shaper (over $15). Oh I almost forgot we also need bobby pins for that occasional French twist and  hair  ties because who can sleep with that hair going everywhere and hanging on your neck?  Those are just the necessities…not including items for the occasional need.
Here’s a little Susan Secret that is just fabulous.  I almost always do my own hair  color….(having Casey do it was completely luxurious).  Clairol Colorsilk does a great job and for the low price of $3.99.  I usually buy it when Walgreens puts in on sale for $2.50…add a coupon and it’s almost free. 
So is maintenance  required  or a luxury?  My answer is that it is required.       Imagine you’re a car owner …like me…who hates to do maintenance on it.   It’s expensive and worse yet, it’s a time suck!  How long does it really take to do a once over on  a car.  It should surely not be any longer than the time for a highlight.  Regardless… cars, girls, guys (even you guys need it)  all need maintenance.  Just like a car, if you don’t get maintenance things will start to fall apart.   So as a girl all my life who loves all things girly, take care of yourself.  It doesn’t have to be expensive.  Walgreens and coupons can keep you fabulous for less than you could ever imagine.
Every now and then, though, treat yourself.  Go to Casey and let her give you the best color and cut this side of Bumble and Bumble , NYC.  Her color is as good and it’s a fraction of the cost.
Great hair is a blessing (and work).  But remember great hair and makeup doesn’t make you who you are.  That comes from within.  No amount of color, no great cut can change who you are inside. That is where true beauty begins.  Happy Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. This is so interesting, since I have decided to try to highlight my way to my "natural" color. Whatever that may be. Don't know if I will like it, but I can always go back to color and highlight, can't I? I am just so tired of the constant upkeep. We shall see......

    ReplyDelete